One of the essential documents for UK visa application is applicant’s photo. However, your photo must meet strictly requirements of UK government. If you plant to traveling to UK and prepare to apply for a UK visa, read carefully the following information, it may help you avoid the trouble with your photo visa application.
UK Visa Photo Requirements and Size
Your photo should meet the following requirements of UK visa photo:
- Size: 45x35mm
- Color: Only color is accepted. No black and white photos are accepted. True colors only with no enhancements.
- Background: Background cannot have any designs or be anything other than cream or light grey.
- Head size and position: Head must be between 29mm and 34mm. Squared with upper shoulders in view.
- Recency: Taken in the last 30 days. Background: Cream or light grey colored. No designs.
- Smile: Neutral expression. Smiling is not allowed. Mouth needs to be closed as well.
- Eyes: Visible and open.
- Glasses: Prescription only with eyes clearly visible.
- Headgear: Only headgear for religious or medical reasons are permitted.
- Dimensions and size (pixels): None specified.
- Attire, clothing, dress code: None specified.
- Beard: Beards are allowed if that’s how you normally look. Avoid growing one for the photo if you are normally clean shaven.
- Quantity needed in application: 2.
UK Visa Photo requirements for children
When you are traveling with your children or infants, they still need to have their own passport of visa. However, the requirements of visa photos for children has some differences from the photo requirements for adult.
- Each child needs their own photo. This is crucial for a speedy application.
- No toys, bottles or pacifiers can be visible in the photo.
- For infants under 12 months of age, a neutral expression is not mandatory. Eyes can be either open or closed.
- Infants can be held so long as the parent is not visible. This includes hands.
- If holding the infant is not a good option, try a car seat or laying them on their back with a plain colored sheet (cream or grey).
- Children 6 and under are not mandated to have a neutral expression. However, their face must still be clearly visible and squared to the camera. Eyes need to be forward and not looking away.
UK Visa Digital Photo Requirements
When you apply the UK visa application online, you must upload the photo instead of print it out. Your photos must meet the above requirements first. To upload it, your photo must meet the following requirements:
- Dimensions: minimum (600 x 750) pixels wide and tall.
- Photo file size: 50KB – 10 MB.
- The image file format must be either JPG or JPEG.