To apply for a UK visa, applicant is required to submit an invitation letter written by a citizen or legal resident of the United Kingdom, addressed to a foreigner with whom they have family ties or friendship, inviting them to stay over at their house. This is a proof to confirm that they have enough room for the visitor, for the entire period of their stay in the UK.
Invitation letter also known as a sponsorship letter for UK visa can address to the UK consular officer to confirm that they are willing to admit an international with whom they have family ties or friendship, and also that they have enough room for the visitor for the entire period of their stay in the UK. Both of two formats are acceptable.
Eligible requirement to write a letter of invitation
The people who want to write an invitation letter for a UK visa must fulfill the following requirements:
- must be a UK citizen or lawful permanent resident
- must be a visitor’s friend, boyfriend/girlfriend or relative
- must have a registered place (home, flat)
- must have enough room for the visitor during their whole period of stay in the UK
Step by Step to Write a Letter of Invitation for a UK Visa
Writing an invitation letter might sound challenging especially for the host, however, if you read carefully the following steps and do as instruction you will see it is very simple. If you are the host, you will just have to write down why you are willing to admit this person in your house and how long they are going to stay and provide all following required information in your letter. That all things you have to do.
Decide to whom you are going to address the letter, to your guest or the consular officer. It might seem a tricky decision to make, but it does not matter that much. The important thing is what you say and not to whom. In both cases, the consular officer is going to read it.
If you do not know where to start writing a letter of invitation for a UK visa, write the following information in a list:
- Your full name
- Your date of birth
- Your full address and telephone number in the United Kingdom
- Your occupation
- Your status in the United Kingdom
- Visitor’s full name
- Visitor’s date of birth
- Visitor’s address and telephone number
- Visitor’s relationship to the host
- Visitor’s purpose of the trip
- How long the guest intends to stay in the UK (specific dates)
- Details on accommodation and living expenses
- Your signature
Every sponsorship letter for UK visa must contain the above-listed information. After writing all this information in a paper, then you can start arranging it in the form of a letter and shaping it.
In order for what is written in the letter to be taken into account by the consular officer, it is better for the host to send some additional documents alongside the Letter of Invitation. These extra requirements are not a must, but they are still a huge plus in visitor’s favor.
These documents are as follows:
- A scanned copy of the host’s ID/passport
- Evidence of their status in the UK
- Evidence of means of subsistence (if the host will financially support the guest)
- Proof of home / flat ownership or rental contract
- You may also add any other document that you believe would help your visitor in getting their visa.